Podcast Episode #50: Roman Johnson - Cultivating Creativity
Posted: Jan 23 2017
ABOUT ROMAN JOHNSON
Roman is the Creative Director for CreativeSheep.org and the Resident Rapper. He lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma with his wife and stellar son. When he's not leading his team as the Curriculum Director for the children's ministries at Church on the Move, he can be found on the basketball court or writing rap songs.
Growth comes in steps and stages, not overnight.
- Use YouTube. There is so much free help/tutorials on the internet!
- “Steal” from other artists that inspire you, tweaking and making your art your own. Especially when you are starting out.
- There is nothing new under the sun. Creativity is fusing multiple ideas and making it your own.
- You can find anything online. If you want to learn, there's info out there.
- Don’t be afraid to put out your early work, even if you don't like. It will lead you to your next project.
As you grow:
- Early on it's ok to draw inspiration from other work, but if you're always "stealing" other work, you will never learn to innovate.
- Develop your own voice, style, and unique way of doing your craft.
- Before reaching out to an expert for help/advice, do your part. Have you done your research? Put in the work yourself before asking an expert for help.
- Be a life-long learner.
Creating Systems & Cultivating Creativity
"If you don't know what your box is, you can't think outside of it."
If something is working, figure out why it is working, and make it a repeatable process for success every time.
Put systems & processes in place for smaller tasks. This frees you to spend more time/creativity/thought on more important tasks.
Ninety-five percent of what you do can be done by somebody else. The other 5% is the unique way you do what you do. How are you using your 5%?
Spend your time doing what only you can do.