Podcast Episode #40: Kevin Moore - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Church Planting
Posted: Oct 02 2016
Kevin Moore is the founding and senior pastor of THECHURCH at Visilia. He and his wife, Veronica, have four children. They live in Tulare County and can’t imagine ever calling any place else home.
Kevin is a great communicator. He has written five books and absolutely loves presenting Biblical truths in ways that people can understand and apply to their daily life.
THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY OF CHURCH PLANTING.
Planting Churches vs Sending Shepherds:
- The goal of every church is to make disciples.
- If one of your sheep has a call of God on their life, train them up to go out and pastor another campus or church.
- TheCHURCH at Visalia develops disciples who will go disciple other people.
- The job of a senior pastor is to recognize these individuals and train them in order to send them out.
- Nothing great is ever done alone.
- If you are going to do something that lasts, you need to have a partner.
- Eventually you will move on and those beside you will stay.
- You have to partner with great people.
- If you don’t do things right, leadership leaves.
- Create margin to grow personally.
- Planting a church may look glamorous online but to a church planter it is a gutsy move.
Church Planting: Step One.
- The biggest mistake is finding the building first.
- You have to wrestle with what the vision, mission, and values are first, then you start building the body.
- Out of the body a team is made.
- Once you have movement going, then you can start looking for a place to meet.
Mission / Vision / Values
- MISSION: Why are you doing this?
- TheCHURCH at Visalia's mission: Bring people to Jesus and help them live like Him.
- VISION: How you walk out the mission.
- TheCHURCH at Visalia's vision: Gather / Grow / Give / Serve.
- VALUES: What holds us together while we walk out the mission.
- TheCHURCH at Visalia's values: The authority of God / Prayer / Giving / Unity / He is just getting started.
The Biggest challenge:
- Learning to balance marriage and family along with ministry.
- When you take a day off, take the day off. Put the phone away.
- After year one, don't lose focus. Stay focused on the mission.
Building TheCHURCH at Visalia:
- Built on preaching the Word.
- Built on vision.
- Built on word of mouth.
To The Discouraged Church Planter...
- If God called you to plant the church, then stand on His promises.
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths. (PROVERBS 3:5-6)
- Let success and failure be gauged by what God has called you to do not on comparison.
- Stop the comparison game.
- Let God guide your plan.
To The Person Who Is Considering to Plant a Church…
- If you can do anything else and be content, then don’t plant a church.
- You have to go into it knowing you are not the next great thing.
- You will fail a lot.
- Email: email@example.com