Podcast Episode #22: Daniel Connell - Leadership in Lighting
Posted: Jan 17 2016
Daniel Connell is a production designer with a focus on live events. His work includes event design and execution, and system design for both permanent and mobile applications. Daniel has worked in the concert, theater, television, and house of worship markets.
Daniel believes lighting should be an extension of your content. It should amplify feeling and emotion. It should pull your audience in so that they are no longer just spectators, but participants.
Daniel lives in Alabama with his wife Cassie and two sons.
LEADERSHIP IN LIGHTING
LESS IS MORE.
- "A designer knows that he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Expurey
- Get everything down to the irreducible minimum.
IS IT NECESSARY?
- You have to understand why you are doing what you are doing in the first place.
- Look at the big picture. Have the service as a whole in mind.
"Sometimes the right thing is to do NOTHING."
- If you're a worship pastor in charge of the production staff, stay engaged until you TRUST the people at the controls.
- Typically YOU are never the one calling the shots when you work in the production field. There is always a CUSTOMER you are there to ultimately please.
- You are never going to be able to control what the customer does, but you can control your response.
- The struggle is real. You have to manage the struggle.
- Learn to listen and communicate clearly.
- Keep a good attitude: "I am here to serve."
- All you can do is try and understand what the customer is wanting and try to provide it.
- The more you deliver, the more credit you will get. Establish trust.
- DELIVER. - When you don’t deliver. You lose trust.
- KEEP A GOOD ATTITUDE.
- LEAD UP. - Whoever you work for probably doesn’t know your job. Communicate to them what you need in order to do your job.
- Provide information and clear expectations.
Daniel's email: firstname.lastname@example.org
On the Creative Sheep Podcast, we talk to people who are good at what they do to inspire leaders to get better. Don't miss an episode. SUBSCRIBE now!