Podcast Episode #32: Lee Cockerell - Time Management Magic
Posted: Jun 12 2016
Lee Cockerell is the former Executive Vice President of Operations for the Walt Disney World® Resort. As the Senior Operating Executive for ten years, Lee led a team of 40,000 Cast Members and was responsible for the operations of 20 resort hotels, 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, a shopping & entertainment village and the ESPN sports and recreation complex in addition to the ancillary operations which supported the number one vacation destination in the world.
One of Lee's major and lasting legacies was the creation of the Disney Great Leader Strategies which was used to train and develop the 7000 leaders at Walt Disney World. Lee has held various executive positions in the hospitality and entertainment business with Hilton Hotels for 8 years and the Marriott Corporation for 17 years before joining Disney in 1990 to open the Disneyland Paris project.
In this episode, Lee discusses his book Time Management Magic.
LISTEN NOW Episode #32: Lee Cockerell - Time Management Magic
Time Management Magic (book)
The Customer Rules (book)
Creating Magic (book)
TIME MANAGEMENT MAGIC
- Time / Life management is probably the most crucial skill a person needs to be happy.
- A lot of people let life control them. They don’t take care of the right things.
- Management means control. You need to keep your life under control.
- No one cares about how much you know if you can’t get anything done.
- If you do the right things, the right things will happen.
- Are you being as good as you can be with your health, family, and finances?
- Most people can do a lot more than what they are currently doing.
- People are not over worked. They are under organized.
- Do easy things and life gets harder. Do hard things and life gets easier.
- Someday is not a day of the week.
- Take care of your priorities first before you go do other things.
- Learn to say “NO!”. You can’t do everything.
- When you say “yes" to something, you are saying “no” to something else.
- You can't become disciplined unless you know what your priorities are.
- Start scheduling your priorities.
- Keep the appointments.
- Sit down and plan your day.
- 10-15 min a day of planning time will improve your life dramatically.
WHAT'S THE FIRST STEP?
- Evaluate your time.
- What is keeping you from getting things done?
- Most people underestimate what they can do. It’s never too late to get better.
EFFICIENCY VS. EFFECTIVENESS
- Multitasking - Doing multiple things at a time, badly.
- Do one thing at a time.
- Make sure you have the right thing planned.
- Effectiveness is doing the right things that are going to pay off.
- The hard stuff is what makes you effective.
- Focus on effectiveness not just efficiency.
- If I am going to spend time doing this, am I getting anything out of it?